Hybrid 'battery on grid' ENERGY SYSTEMS
Many homes today with solar have little to no feed in tarriff (FiT). As electricity costs rise, the energy grid becomes more unstable and the FiT decreases, the value of 'Battery on Grid' electricity is being more broadly considered. In the coming years it would be reasonable to expect many homes to become independant from the grid and become more self sufficient.
A very common (and valid) question we hear from homeowners... what in the world can I do with batteries in my home that justify expense of them? Batteries have a range of benefits for a homeowner, a that properly installed system can:
- Provide backup power for critical loads (refrigerators, pumps, alarm systems) in the case of power outages. If sized properly with PV, a home could run at reduced loads for extended periods of time in scenarios where a natural disaster causes major power disruptions.
- Store the solar power that is generated during daytime hours when most household loads are less than what is being generated. In this scenario you are storing your own, free, energy for use later.
- Take certain loads or entire rooms of your home completely off the grid—a workroom, the office, garage, etc.
- In some states, you can allow your utility access to your energy storage system to provide critical services to grid operators to maintain system stability and, generate revenue, based on the dispatch of your system.
While batteries are not new technology, the concept of residential energy storage is still a developing application in the marketplace. As more time goes on, there will be more applications for energy storage. Batteries are an excellent hedge against changes to utility rate changes—because we can all agree that what you pay your utility per kWh of electricity is not going to be reduced anytime soon (if ever). Installing energy storage alongside your PV ensures a reliable, clean, and cheaper source of power for years to come—reducing reliance on your local utility, increasing your power insurance in case of outages, and taking more control of your expenses—all while having a positive impact on the environment. A winning proposition all the way around for many homeowners.
MyEnergy has been designing and installing 'battery on grid' applications since 2011 and can assist in the design, install and maintenance of all hybrid solar systems.
If your considering an Hybrid Energy System, we can help!
The key factors that we investigate prior to submitting our quote include:
- Design/size versus return on investment (ROI)
- Customers Energy (kWh) and peak power (kW) usage.
- Existing Energy cost (Example - Current Electricity Cost (kWh))
- Energy saving and efficiency measures.
- Load scheduling and load shedding - This is a key factor that can reduce system size and cost.
This is the most important step before considering installing battery!! The more we know about your 'energy profile' and what you want to achieve from your battery, the more accurate we can be with your system design/costing, and to make sure we will be able to deliver the right amount of power to meet your requirements.
There are various ways to arrive at an energy profile. These include:
- Prepare a load list of every fixed electrical device and also appliances that can be plugged-in. rating, frequency and duration of operation needs to be defined. We can send an EXCEL sheet to help build the load list and load profile.
- Install a Energy Monitor at the main electrical distribution board that will measure the energy, power usage, power factor for a prolonged duration. This device is non invasive and takes just a few minutes to install. The recorded data can then be analysed by MyEnergy remotely via local wifi or the mobile network, or alternatively, the logged data can be downloaded when the tracker is collected. For large scale projects we can install a Energy Monitor at a nominal fee to cover the equipment hire and electrician call-out.
Energy Profiling is the most important stage in the 'Off Grid' and 'Hybrid' system design and proposal process.