What are Floating Solar Panels?
They are a new, reliable, and cost-effective solution for the production of solar energy. They are able to turn bodies of water into solar power plants, all while continuing to conserve the land and water by allowing the farm to utilise the reservoir for the generation of free, green energy. This energy is then used on-site to power the pump and other areas, saving a massive amount of energy that would have been provided by less eco-friendly sources.
The installation of solar panels on water allows landowners to increase their energy independence, but without taking up valuable space on their land. At the same time, it also helps them to unlock the full potential of any unused bodies of water. On top of this, Hydrelio installations are also able to benefit from the government’s Feed-in Tariff, so you can even make money from your floating solar panels.
Due to the fact that the solar panels are only placed on the water found in reservoirs, there is also no disruption to the ecosystem, as any fish that live there are considered “accidental visitors”. They are also not a disruption to the birds that like to sit on the water, especially as the array only takes up around 6% of the reservoir.
The Benefits of Floating Solar Panels
There are actually quite a few benefits to floating solar panels. Here is the main bulk of them:
- Cost effective
- Return on investment is boosted by low lease price and installation costs
- Streamlined manufacturing process to ensure low production costs
- Competitive system prices
- Higher electricity production due to cooling effect of the water
- All the materials can be recycled
- Reduction of water evaporation to conserve irrigation or drinking water
- Slower algae growth thanks to the shielding from the sun the panels provide
- Low environmental impact overall
- No excavation work and no impact on water quality
- Reduced erosion of reservoir embankments due to reduced number of waves
- Easy to adapt to any electrical configuration
- Scalable from low to high power generation
- No tools or heavy equipment required